December is Worldwide Food Service Safety Month. Did you know more than 200 diseases are spread through food alone? One in ten people become sick every year from eating contaminated food, and 420,000 people are killed from these illnesses every year. These types of illnesses can cause long-term health problems and possibly be deadly, so it’s very important to be adamant about consuming safely prepared food.
Here are some facts about food safety:
1. Food-borne diseases can be deadly
2. Freezing doesn’t kill bacteria
3. Cross-contamination can occur in the refrigerator
4. Chopping boards contain more germs than toilets
5. The five-second rule (Contrary to popular belief, bacteria can get attached to food as soon as the food touches the floor).
You can protect the food you and your loved ones consume by maintaining proper hygiene, learning to store food items properly, and to clean utensils and any cooking equipment properly. The more knowledge you have, the better equipped you can be against foodborne illnesses.
Post a comment