It stands to reason that abstaining from alcohol can be of great benefit, as regular drinking is a major risk factor for cancer, liver disease, and heart disease.
Alcohol: Study Results From One Month Abstinence
Researchers from the University of Sussex in Falmer, United Kingdom, found that people who took part in Dry January in 2018 reported higher energy levels and healthier body weight. They also felt less need to drink alcohol, even several months later.
Data was collected from 2,821 people . Results showed that abstaining from alcohol for a month, also reduced the number of drinking days later in the year. The rate went down to 3.3 days per week from 4.3 days per week.
Excessive drinking, defined as 8.6 units of alcohol per drinking day at the beginning of the experiment, went down to 7.1 units per drinking day later on. That is a reduction of one full day, just by abstaining for one month.
Other immediate benefits were:
- money saved
- 70% of respondents slept better
- 60% lost weight
Alcohol: Abstinence Brings A Long List Of Benefits
- 93 percent of participants reported experiencing a sense of achievement at the end of the alcohol-free month
- 88 percent had saved the money that they would otherwise have spent on drinks
- 82 percent of participants reported an enhanced awareness of their relationship with alcohol
- 80 percent felt more in control of their drinking habits
- 76 percent understood when they felt more tempted to drink and why
- 71 percent of participants learned that they did not need alcohol to have fun
- 71 percent said that they enjoyed a better quality of sleep
- 70 percent reported better overall health
- 67 percent had higher energy levels
- 58 percent of participants lost weight
- 57 percent reported improved concentration
- 54 percent said that they noticed better skin health
The mental and physical risks of drinking are well known. Mental health problems, diabetes, heart problems, cancer, and liver disease, to name a few. But, there are also many excellent physical and mental benefits benefits as well. See the list above.
You don’t need to go total cold turkey; drinking in moderation will also help your mental and physical condition.
So go ahead and give it a try. You will sleep better, feel more energetic, lose weight, and of course, save money.
Post a comment